Project is dead?

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Hi all,

I am wondering will this project continue developed? I want to help developing this good project. 

Thanks,

Dima.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for your offer.

It's  not dead, but it's actually feature complete. :) And with Silverlight 5 announced 3D API there's probably no need for this project anymore.

What do you have in mind?

- Rene Schulte

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Hi,

Maybe to rewrite all code of library to Fsharp and to make calculation works in threads. I think it will increase speed of calculation. Fsharp is better choise for math calc.

Dima

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Yeah,

F# is cool. Never had time to look into it. Would make sense to write a math lib in F#.

Multithreading doesn't make much sense since it only handles one item and not vectors. SSE would make a lot of sense if it was available in SL. Unfortunately it isn't.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM

But what about such thing: you can create a workitem where you will save the list of transformation. And when it loaded, workitem begin working in thread.

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Could work. Something like the GPU parallel pipeline does. I don't know if the overhead doesn't outweigh the benefits of the parallel chaining. If we're talking about a lot transformations this could work nicely.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Rene,

Do you know whether Matrix3DProjection GPU accelerated in SL4? And if no can we instead of it use Transformations and Plane projection to have benefits from gpu acceleration ?

Thanks,

Dima

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Matrix3DProjection isn't. Only PlaneProjection and no you can't use it for these opertions you find here. Like projection matrix.

SL5 will bring real HW-accelerated 3D and I don't see the value investing more energy in getting this here HW accelerated.

May 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Now that the 3D in Silverlight 5 isn't the kind you thought, will you re-consider this?

Coordinator
May 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Not really. It's actually exactly what he all have hoped for: XNA in the Browser.